This course is to provide the underpinning knowledge and skills for Rail Safety Workers (RSWs) to fulfil the role of a Handsignaller on the Metro Trains Melbourne (MTM) Metropolitan Rail Network..
This course MUST be undertaken by Rail Safety Workers wanting to perform the duties of a Handsignaller on the MTM Metropolitan Rail Network.
This course is not suitable if participant has already attained the Handsignaller competency from a non-approved MTM training provider and is not approved to work on the MTM Metropolitan Rail Network.
The Handsignaller (MTM upgrade) is required is the above applies.
Credential awarded on completion
This course will give participants the knowledge and skills to:
- identify site protection requirements
- take up Handsignaller position
- use hand signal commands to manage rail traffic
- take action in unsafe situations or emergencies.
- In-field (MUST be completed within 2 months of course attendance)
Metro Academy prerequisites
- Participant MUST be 18+ years of age
- Participant MUST comply with Local COVID Safe Plans
- Participant MUST have completed the approved MTM Lookout course and been issued the following unit/s of competency: TLIF0020 Safely access the rail corridor*, TLIF0027 Perform lookout duties*
- The Participant MUST have current employment with an organisation that is working with the MTM Metropolitan Rail Network and,
- a pre-requisite declaration completed by the learner and their employer, declaring that they meet the pre-requisite requirements of the course, and
- a current Rail Industry Worker (RIW) card / MTM Track Protection card.
- * (Units of competency considered equivalent on www.training.gov.au are also accepted)
- Approved photo ID MUST be sighted on day of attendance.
- Metro Academy will verify prerequisites against Rail Industry Worker (RIW) database.
- To prevent delay, participant’s ‘The Platform’ profile MUST contain current email address, contact number, RIW number and date of birth.
- Verifications will be completed by Metro Academy normally within two (2) business days of receipt of information.*
- *Participant is unable to commence training until verifications have been completed.
Participants who successfully complete all requirements of this course including the infield requirement, will be awarded a Statement of Attainment (SoA) for the following nationally recognised unit of competency:
SoA and CoC will be issued by Metro Academy via email, normally within ten (10) business days.
The CoC competency is accepted on the MTM Metropolitan Rail Network and is valid for 24 months. This competency MUST be renewed before expiration.
RIW CERTIFICATE UPLOADS
Metro Academy will upload the participant’s certificate to the RIW database.
To prevent delay, participant’s The Platform profile MUST contain current email address, contact number, RIW number and date of birth.
Uploads will be completed by Metro Academy, normally within two (2) business days of SoA and CoC being issued in The Platform.
Cost: $575 (GST does not apply)
Duration: One day
Delivery mode: Face to face
Venue: Metro Academy
42–50 Bakehouse Road, Kensington, VIC 3031
Proof of identity requirements
Participants are required to produce a valid Identification document (ID) on the day of training.
One of the following is considered a valid ID document, the document must contain a photo of the participant and be current.
- Australian or International Passport
- Driver’s Licence
- Driver’s Learners Permit
- Boat Operator’s Licence
- Victorian Firearm Licence
- Licence to Perform High Risk Work
- Consumer Affairs Victoria Proof of Age card
- Other Australian Government issued ID card
- State, Territory or Federal Government Employee ID
- Keypass ID card or Tertiary Education Photo ID card
Personal protection equipment (PPE) requirements
Participants MUST bring the following items on the day of training:
- Steel capped, lace up boots with ankle support
- Orange Hi-Vis vest
- Full length trousers
- Eye protection
- Long sleeve shirt
- Hard hat
Participants cannot commence training without PPE